Comprehensive Plan Update
At its meeting on February 06, 2018, the Planning Commission recommended the draft Comprehensive Plan to the Board of Supervisors for approval. Please view the draft Plan here:
Welcome! Here you will find the latest, most up-to-date information regarding Easttown Township’s comprehensive plan update. Easttown’s current Comprehensive Plan was adopted in 2001. Now, the Township is working to update the plan to reflect current trends and a vision for the future. Township officials and the Chester County Planning Commission have teamed up to develop an issues-based plan that will provide recommendations to maintain historic resources and economic sustainability, provide for appropriate growth and development, connect transportation modes, and protect the environment. We hope that you will take an active role in the planning process by providing insight into key Township issues and a vision for the future.
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan is a policy document adopted by a municipality that includes background information on the municipality’s past, analysis of current issues and trends, a vision for the future, and recommendations to reach the desired goals and objectives toward the vision. A comprehensive plan provides guidance for future development, road improvements, parks, recreation, sidewalks, trail facilities, infrastructure improvements, zoning changes, and similar topics. The Plan will assist with establishing funding sources for implementation and a sound basis for recommended changes. The Comprehensive Plan in Pennsylvania is a document that provides more detailed information regarding municipal comprehensive plans.
The Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (MPC) governs planning in Pennsylvania and permits municipalities to adopt comprehensive plans which are required to be reviewed every ten years (Article 3). The Township has adopted various planning documents over the years including a comprehensive plan to provide guidance and vision for the development of the Township. The existing plan was adopted in 2001 as an update to the 1972 comprehensive plan. In compliance with the MPC, the Township has determined the time has come for the next update. Here is the PA Municipalities Planning Code text.
Project Time Line
- September 2015 – Kick off meeting
- October 2015 – Stakeholder meeting
- March/April 2016 – Topical stakeholders meetings and interviews
- June 15, 2016 Public Open House
- Fall 2016 / 2017– Plan development
- Fall 2017 – Task Force and Planning Commission Meetings. At the Planning Commission on October 03, 2017, Task Force member Mary Hashemi presented the Commission with an update regarding the Comprehensive Plan project. To view the presentation slides, please click here.
- At the Special Planning Commission meeting on November 14, 2017, the Task Force gave a presentation and received comments from the public. Please click here to see materials from that meeting.
- First Quarter 2018 – Public adoption process begins
- Task Force Fall 2017 Public Meetings: November 16 and December 12, 2017
- Planning Commission Special Public Meeting – Comprehensive Plan Presentation and Public Comment on Various Draft Preliminary Plan Elements: November 14, 2017. See materials for that meeting here.
- Deadline for Emailing Additional Public Comments to Gene Briggs on Various Draft Preliminary Plan Elements: December 12, 2017
Anticipated Next Steps
- Joint Task Force and Planning Commission Special Public Meeting – Comprehensive Plan Presentation and Public Comment on Draft Final Plan: January 17, 2018
- Planning Commission Public Meeting – Comprehensive Plan Presentation, Public Comment, and Recommendation of Draft Final Plan: February 06, 2018